Magic Cèpe Mushroom Soup from My Master Recipes by Patricia Wells
Take your culinary skills to a whole new level with this decadent recipe for Magic Cèpe Mushroom Soup from My Master Recipes by Patricia Wells. This soup is is rich and flavorful, and it teaches you how to infuse cream! We can’t think of a better way to learn in the kitchen.
In My Master Recipes, Patricia Wells codifies the skills she imparts in her classes in this inviting instruction manual and cookbook. Each of the recipes teaches particular techniques—blanching, searing, simmering, sweating, steaming, braising, deep-frying—with additional recipes that take your skills in directions both savory and sweet, simple and profound—giving you the knowledge and assurance to expand your cooking even further. My Master Recipes goes on sale March 7. Pre-order a copy from your favorite retailer today.
Magic Cèpe Mushroom Soup
I call this crowd-pleasing soup my magic recipe. It is so amazing that so few ingredients—and a soup made in a matter of minutes—can have so much depth of flavor. It really is a fine example of the miracles of infusion. The dried cèpe (porcini) mushroom powder packs a maximum of fragrance and flavor and takes well to many variations: pair it with paper-thin slices of raw domestic mushrooms or seared domestic or wild mushrooms showered in the bowl at serving time; prepare with dried morel powder in place of cèpes; top with thin slices of raw black truffles; or add a dollop of mushroom-powder- infused whipped cream.
EQUIPMENT: A large jar with a lid; a 3-quart (3 l) heavy-duty saucepan with a lid; 8 warmed, shallow soup bowls.
- 2 cups (500 ml) heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons Cèpe Mushroom Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 cups (750 ml) Chicken Stock or Vegetable Stock
- Chopped fresh chives, for garnish
- Extra-virgin olive oil or Chive Oil, for garnish
- If time permits, combine the cream and mushroom powder in a jar, seal, and refrigerate for 24 hours to infuse the cream with the mushroom flavor and aroma. (Alternatively, combine the cream and mushroom powder in the heavy-duty saucepan, bring just to a simmer, cover, remove from the heat, and set aside for 30 minutes to infuse the cream.)
- At serving time, in heavy-duty saucepan, combine the infused cream, salt, and stock and bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat. Remove from the heat and taste for seasoning.
- Serve in the warmed soup bowls, garnished with chives and a drizzle of oil.
VARIATIONS : Add sliced raw domestic or wild mushrooms to the soup and cook for several minutes; add grilled, sliced fresh cèpes or domestic mushrooms; add truffle matchsticks at serving time.
MAKE-AHEAD NOTE: The soup can be prepared up to 3 days in advance and stored in airtight containers in the refrigerator.