Jerk-Spiced Cashews from V Street
Thanksgiving is quickly approaching and although we feel confident in our main courses, we’re still looking for some recipes for snacking that will make the big day that much more special. Right now we have our eye on these Jerk-Spiced Cashews, from V Street by Rich Landau and Kate Jacoby. These cashews pack a flavorful punch, are easy to make, and will definitely get your guests talking.
V Street, from beloved chefs of Philadelphia’s nationally acclaimed restaurants Vedge and V Street, offers creative vegan riffs on street food from across the globe—drawing from the culinary traditions of Asia, the Middle East, South America, and more. Filled with 100 internationally inspired recipes, behind-the-scenes anecdotes, food travel stories, and stunning color photography throughout, this is a must-have for vegetable lovers and everyone with a taste for adventure. Purchase a copy from your favorite retailer.
We like to lean toward simplicity and clean flavors. So every time we start a jerk dish with a blank canvas, it’s always a riot how long the list of ingredients grows. The point is that jerk is a very complex blend of spices that must work in a perfect harmony of herbal, sweet, spicy, and sour. It takes many parts to complete the whole and nothing can be out of sync. These cashews have made many appearances on our menus over the years but most recently played a great supporting role alongside our Jerk Trumpet Mushrooms. They are terrific on top of a salad or just for snacking.
SERVES 4 TO 6 AS A PARTY SNACK OR 8 TO 10 AS A SALAD ADDITION
- 2 cups unsalted cashews
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon Jerk Spice (below)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Toss the cashews lightly with the sunflower oil in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with jerk spice to taste.
- Spread the cashews in a single layer on a baking tray.
- Bake for about 4 minutes, until the cashews are lightly golden brown. Allow to cool completely before serving. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl until thoroughly mixed. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.