Penne with Roasted Butternut Squash from The Mediterranean Family Table
The Mediterranean Family Table by Dr. Angelo Acquista is on sale today! We’re celebrating by sharing a delicious and perfectly seasonal recipe for Penne with Roasted Butternut Squash from the book. Who doesn’t love squash in the fall? Change up how you serve it by adding it to pasta, with olive oil and freshly grated cheese. Sounds delicious to us.
The Mediterranean Family Table contains a wealth of helpful information, including how to make healthier eating choices; instill good habits in kids that will last a lifetime; and buy, store, and cook ingredients fundamental to the Mediterranean diet. Purchase a copy of The Mediterranean Family Table from your favorite retailer now.
Penne with Roasted Butternut Squash
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into ¼-inch cubes
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmigiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F.
- Toss the squash cubes in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of the oil and ½ teaspoon of the salt (if using) and mix well. Spread onto a baking pan in a single layer and roast for 20 to 30 minutes until soft. Increase the oven temperature to broil and broil the squash for 2 minutes more.
- When the squash is almost done, bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the salt (if using) and the penne and cook according to the package instructions until al dente. Reserve ¹∕³ cup of the cooking water and drain the pasta.
- Place half of the squash into a blender along with the reserved pasta water and puree until it is smooth. It should have the consistency of tomato sauce.
- Put 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large pan over low heat. Add the onion and the remaining ½ teaspoon of salt (if using) and cook until the onion is softened.
- Add the squash puree and roasted squash cubes to the onion, and sauté for 1 minute.
- Stir in the drained pasta, and remove the pan from the heat.
- Stir in the Parmigiano, parsley, and pepper, and drizzle with the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil.