Quick and Easy Tomato Sauce from The Mediterranean Family Table
Take your pasta game to the next level with this Quick and Easy Tomato Sauce from The Mediterranean Family Table by Dr. Angelo Acquista. Making your own sauce can be daunting, but Dr. Acquista breaks it down with a recipe that is not only simple, but delicious as well. You’ll never use canned sauce again! The Mediterranean Family Table contains a wealth of helpful information, including how to make healthier eating choices; instill good habits in kids that will last a lifetime; and buy, store, and cook ingredients fundamental to the Mediterranean diet. The Mediterranean Family Table is on sale November 10. Pre-order a copy today from your favorite retailer today.
Quick and Easy Tomato Sauce
This is my wife’s new favorite tomato sauce—she loves the taste. Its success depends entirely on the type of tomatoes you use (as I’ve mentioned, I highly recommend DOP San Marzano tomatoes) and on blending the garlic well into the sauce.
Serves 4 (enough sauce for 1 pound of pasta)
- 1 (28-ounce) can San Marzano whole peeled plum tomatoes
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Put the tomatoes into a bowl and coarsely squish them with your hands, reserving the juice.
- Put the oil in a large pan over medium heat and add the red pepper flakes, tomato paste, and garlic. Sauté the garlic for 1 minute and add the tomatoes with their juices, 2 tablespoons of the chopped basil, the salt, and the sugar.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, lower the heat, cover the pan, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the sauce. The cooked garlic blends into the sauce and gives it a wonderful flavor.
- Add the last tablespoon of basil when you mix the sauce with the pasta.