Joyce Maynard’s Peach Pie Family Recipe
Labor Day, the bestselling book by Joyce Maynard, is now a major motion picture starring Kate Winslet and Josh Brolin! One holiday weekend in New Hampshire, the lives of a single mother and her son are irrevocably changed when they show kindness to a stranger with a terrible secret.
One of the most iconic scenes of the book and film involves a delectable peach pie. Learn to make the pie that Josh Brolin made every day on the set of Labor Day for Kate Winslet and the cast, using author Joyce Maynard’s family recipe.
Want to tell Joyce what you think of her recipe? Tonight at 5:30 PM EST sit down at your computer with a warm piece of pie and chat with Joyce on Book Club Girl’s Facebook page.
- 3 pounds peaches, pitted, peeled, and sliced about 1/2” thick
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons Minute tapioca
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Crisco vegetable shortening
- 1 stick plus 1 tablespoon chilled butter, cut into pieces
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup ice water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the peaches, sugar, lemon juice, and cinnamon. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the tapioca to help absorb the juices. Let stand, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a large bowl, mix the flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, work in the shortening and 1 stick of butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the ice water over the flour mixture, stirring gently with a fork. Continue adding the water just until the dough holds together. Shape the dough into a ball and divide it into two discs, one slightly larger than the other.
- Place the smaller disc on a sheet of wax paper and use a lightly floured rolling pin to roll the dough into a 12-inch circle. If the dough sticks to the rolling pin, dust it lightly with more flour. Lay a 9- to 10-inch pie pan face down on top of the circle; flip the pan over and remove the paper. For the crust, on a sheet of wax paper, roll out the other disc to form a 14-inch circle. Do not roll the dough more than necessary.
- Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of tapioca on the bottom crust. Add the filling, mounding it in the center, and dot with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Lift the wax paper with the remaining crust and flip it over the filling. Peel back the wax paper. Trim the edges of the crusts and pinch together the top and bottom crusts. Optional: Roll out the trimmings and cut into decorative shapes. Brush the pie with the egg, and arrange the shapes on the crust. Sprinkle with sugar. Poke fork holes or cut vents in the top crust. Put the pie plate on a baking sheet to catch drips.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Serve warm.
To watch Joyce make an Apple Pie: http://curious.com/joycemaynard/joyce-maynards-homemade-apple-pie