Recipe: Broccoli Cheese Soup by Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman
Ree Drummond’s new cookbook, The Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year of Holidays, is on sale Tuesday, October 29, but we’re delighted to share with you a recipe from the book now, before it’s on sale. In her new cookbook, Ree has given us 140 recipes in her inimitable step-by-step style that will add flavor, fun, and love to twelve different holidays. This recipe, Broccoli-Cheese Soup, is from the chapter on Halloween. This recipe, says Ree, “is everything broccoli-cheese soup should be: creamy, thick, cheesy, and satisfying, which means the kids won’t be quite as tempted to chow down on candy while they’re out and about” trick-or-treating. Sounds like a great strategy for a (sort of) healthy Halloween–and for a satisfying meal on any fall or winter evening, for kids and grown-ups.
1. In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and stir it around to cook, 3 to 4 minutes.
2. Sprinkle the flour on top of the onion and use a whisk to work in the flour. Once it’s combined, cook the onion-flour mixture for 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Add the milk and half-and-half, whisking constantly until combined.
4. Sprinkle in the salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
5. Add the broccoli florets and stir them into the soup. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to low, then simmer the soup until it’s thickened and the broccoli is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
6. Stir in the chicken broth and check the consistency. The soup should be thick, but if it still seems too thick, splash in a little more broth.
7. Throw in the cheese! Stir it in until it’s melted, taste and adjust the seasonings . . . and get ready to serve it up.
8. At an angle, cut off the top third of the bread. Remove the “lid.” Tear out chunks of bread, leaving a ½-inch rim around the crust. (Save the bread in a plastic storage bag for another use.)
9. Ladle in the thick, yummy soup and top it with more shredded cheese.
10. Serve it to trick-or-treaters before they head out to collect your . . . I mean their candy.
- For a smoother soup, use an immersion blender to puree the soup before adding the cheese.
- Substitute pepper Jack cheese for a slightly spicier soup.
- Pre-order from your favorite retailer.
- Pre-order a signed copy from Barnes & Noble.
- Pre-order a signed copy from Books-A-Million.
Subscribe to Ree’s AuthorTracker email list for news about sweepstakes, and other updates about her books.
Meet The Pioneer Woman on tour! View Ree’s tour schedule and save the date.
Ree Drummond is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Pioneer Woman Cooks and The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food from My Frontier. Ree’s beloved website, The Pioneer Woman, was founded in 2006 and showcases her cooking, photography, and anecdotes about country life. Her cooking show, The Pioneer Woman, premiered on Food Network in 2011. Ree loves Lucille Ball, John Denver, and The Godfather, and lives on a working cattle ranch in Oklahoma with her husband and four children.