Vegan Baking Made Easy—and Delicious!
In Skinny Bitch Bakery, accomplished vegan baker Kim Barnouin—coauthor of the bestselling Skinny Bitch series—shares all her tricks and secrets, such as how to keep baked goods fresh without using animal fats and how to create the best gluten-free treats. Skinny Bitch Bakery makes vegan baking easy, with eighty delectable recipes and full color photographs of mouth-watering vegan baked goods that you can make to spoil your loved ones. Whatever you’re craving—cakes, pies, breads, or cookies—Barnouin explains it all. Get a taste of what this cookbook has to offer with the below recipe!
Glazed Cinnamon Rolls
Is there anything better on a Sunday morning than hot, freshly baked cinnamon rolls? I think not, missy. You can make these irresistible rolls spaced apart on a baking sheet or snuggled together in a baking dish. Either way, they taste amazeballs. (Not to mention, they were the second most asked-for treat besides baklava when I asked readers what they wanted in my baking book!) P.S. You will need an instant-read thermometer handy for this recipe. Makes: 12 rolls
1 tablespoon Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer
3 tablespoons water
3½ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
½ cup sugar
2½ teaspoons instant dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup almond milk
3 tablespoons plus ¼ cup Earth Balance
¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ cup finely chopped pecans (optional)
¼ cup Earth Balance, at room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grease a large bowl and set aside. In a small bowl, whisk the egg replacer and water until smooth. Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, yeast, and salt.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, simmer the almond milk and the 3 tablespoons Earth Balance until the mixture reaches 120˚F on an instant-read thermometer. Pour into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add one-third of the flour mixture, beating at low speed until combined. Add the remaining flour mixture and beat, scraping down the sides of the bowl when necessary, until the dough forms a ball.
- Dust a clean work surface with flour. Knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic, about 7 minutes. If the dough is sticky, sprinkle with flour. Place the dough in the oiled bowl and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Place in a warm, draft-free area and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 2 hours.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and pecans. Lightly grease a 13 × 9–inch baking dish or other large baking dish and set aside. Punch down the dough and turn it out onto a floured work surface. Roll out to about 18 × 10 inches. Spread the remaining ¼ cup Earth Balance over the dough. Sprinkle with the pecan mixture.
- Beginning at a long end, roll the dough into a log (like a jelly roll), pinching the seam to seal. Slice into twelve pieces and place cut-side up in the prepared baking dish. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and place in a warm, draft-free area until nearly doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Remove plastic wrap from baking dish and bake until golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes before glazing.
- To make the glaze, melt the Earth Balance and pour into a small bowl. Sift in the powdered sugar, stirring to combine. Stir in the vanilla extract. Spread the glaze over the cinnamon rolls and serve warm.
Skinny Bitch Bakery is available wherever books and e-books are sold. Order your copy today!
Kim Barnouin holds a master of science in holistic nutrition and offers guidance on her Healthy Bitch Daily blog. A former model, she is the author or coauthor of seven books and has successfully counseled models, actors, athletes, and other professionals using the Skinny Bitch method. She lives in Los Angeles. To learn more about Kim, like her on Facebook and follow her on Twitter.