Yummy Mummy Spring Inspiration

yummy mummyToday on the blog, we’re excited to welcome a guest post from Marina Delio, author of The Yummy Mummy Kitchen: 100 Effortless and Irresistible Recipes to Nourish Your Family with Style and Grace:

Now that Spring is blooming,  I thought I would share a few of my ingredients for a sweet season. This is the Secret Ingredient blog, after all. Spring is about new life. It’s a time to start fresh, so let’s get inspired.

Spring is the perfect time to try something new. It could be a cooking class, raising backyard chickens, or planting a vegetable garden. Subscribe to a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) or vow to visit the farmers’ market weekly to spark your kitchen creativity.

Spring is my favorite season in the kitchen. By the end of winter, I tire of hearty squash and winter greens and yearn for the juicy stone fruits and berries of summer. Farmers’ markets become a bit more exciting in the spring. Chickens start laying more eggs, peas and asparagus shoot up from the ground and flowers burst open. My dishes become prettier this time of year, when I can grab some pea tendrils and sweet pea flowers from the garden to use as garnish.

We own three pet chickens, and our family loves eggs as the star of a meatless dinner in the form of quiche, frittata, or huevos rancheros. I’ll share my recipe for Mom’s Best Quiche below.

Enjoy the spring!

Mom’s Best Quiche (Serves 6-8)

Making quiche at home is much easier than most people think, and quiche is a great high-protein meatless meal for quichebreakfast, lunch, or dinner. On nights when there seems to be nothing special in the fridge, I often make quiche, as I can always round up some eggs, cheese, milk, and vegetables. This quiche can be made hours ahead of time and reheated in a 300˚F oven for 15 minutes. Feel free to replace the mushrooms and asparagus in this recipe with any vegetables you have on hand. Half a yellow onion or one whole shallot can be used if leeks are not available.

1 prepared piecrust
1 tablespoon extra-virgin
olive oil
1 leek, sliced
1 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
1 cup asparagus, cut into bite-size
pieces
3 large eggs
½ cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
½ cup shredded Jarlsberg cheese
½ cup shredded Gruyère cheese
½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
Fresh cilantro, for garnish

Preheat the oven to 425˚F. Roll out the piecrust dough and fit into a pie dish. Lightly poke the bottom and sides of the pastry all over with a fork. Line the dough with foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 15 minutes.
Remove the weights and foil and continue baking another 5 minutes, or until the bottom is golden. Reduce the heat to 375˚F.
Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the leek, mushrooms, and asparagus to the pan. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and sauté the vegetables until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to the crust with a slotted spoon, so that most of the liquid remains in the pan.

In a medium bowl, stir together the eggs, cream, milk, cheeses, and mustard. Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables. Bake for 50 minutes, until the quiche is firm and lightly browned. Check after 20 minutes to ensure that the crust is not browning too quickly. Cover the exposed crust with foil if it is getting too dark.

For more recipes from Marina Delio, visit her blog Yummy Mummy Kitchen, and follow her on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.

Comments
25 Responses to “Yummy Mummy Spring Inspiration”
  1. Sherwood Scouten says:

Spring is my favorite season in the kitchen.Rosa Parks refused to sit at the back of the bushow to lose weight

2. Demarcus Mcfee says:

Spring is my favorite season in the kitchen.For meHay Day Hack Tool APK – Diamonds

3. Mirtha Almeda says:

Spring is my favorite season in the kitchen.Beyond “the Paul Howes position”spartagen XT

4. Everette Riche says:

Spring is my favorite season in the kitchen.I would also suggest that while he might concede that some Australian laws in the past were unreasonableforskolin for weight loss

5. rogerhildess says:

With longer days we can spend more time outside. In addition to visiting our Santa Barbara farmers’ markets with my two little girls, I’m looking forward to picnics in wildflower fields and meeting our friends at the park for dinner. A long sandwich made with grilled vegetables on a baguette is my favorite take-along dinner. follow us

6. Marline Mayes says:

Spring is my favorite season in the kitchen.For example optometrist portland

7. Raymon Loudin says:

Now that Spring is blooming,  I thought I would share a few of my ingredients for a sweet season.The main targets of the Yes Men are corporations and corporate-friendly institutions like the World Trade Organisation. HCG drops

8. Mitsue Vitti says:

Spring is the perfect time to try something new.Fitzgibbon’s call for “the broadest possible” interpretation of criminal law to make an example of Moylan seems Orwellian. accounting software singapore

9. jackvil says:

Making quiche at home is much easier than most people think, and quiche is a great high-protein meatless meal for quichebreakfast, lunch, or dinner. On nights when there seems to be nothing special in the fridge, I often make quiche, as I can always round up some eggs, cheese, milk, and vegetables. This quiche can be made hours ahead of time and reheated in a website design

10. Taylah says:

Magnificent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are
    just too great. I actually like what you have acquired here, certainly like what
    you’re stating and the way in which you say
    it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it smart.

I can’t wait to read much more from you. This is actually a wonderful
    site.

11. There’s certainly a great deal to know about this issue.
    I love all the points you’ve made.

12. Stone says:

When QuotesChimp fill out an insurance application, you make repre�sentations to the company concerning facts about yourself. Many of these facts are vital to the underwriting process�for example, whether you smoke, in the case of a life insurance policy. If you lie about any of these facts and the company catches you, and if a court concludes that the lie was material (important) to the underwriting decisions of the company, you could lose some benefits or the company may be allowed to cancel the policy.

13. Rizqyrizal says:

usually do the wheat germ for some extra nutrition and a nutty floavr. You could also do a riff on this brown rice crust, but without the cheese if you want to keep it parve. I haven’t tried it yet,

14. Yoga says:

Oh, I want to win, my friend is pgnanret and she looves sock monkeys! She even has a sock monkey Christmas tree and Christmas wreath! It has something to do about when they met — it’s cute not obsessive, promise!

15. Jaqueline says:

Hello to every one, the contents present at this site are actually awesome for
    people knowledge, well, keep up the nice work fellows.

16. Hey! Would you mind if I share your blog with my myspace group?

There’s a lot of people that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Many thanks

17. marketing says:

These inbound links are extremely important in your marketing enterprise.
    If you keep doing what you do to promote your business as fast or slow as you like.
    Finally, make sure you catch it before the
    predictable occurs. Use that knowledge to learn more about how to make
    money using Twitter.

• Raty says:

Our 17 month old Henry would love this print in his room. He loves his sock monkey toys and goes “ooo, ooo, aah, aah” when he plays with them. It’s sooo cute. (p.s. my wife would love it too!”.

18. Dieter says:

Hi there! I could have sworn I’ve visited this site before but after browsing through a few of the articles I realized it’s new to me.
    Anyhow, I’m certainly happy I stumbled upon it and I’ll be book-marking it and checking back
    frequently!

19. Chelsey says:

Good information. Lucky me I came across your blog
    by accident (stumbleupon). I’ve bookmarked it for later!

20. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about guestbook. Regards

21. I think that everything published made a ton of sense. However, what about this?
    suppose you added a little content? I am not suggesting your content is not solid.
    , however what if you added something that makes people desire more?
    I mean Yummy Mummy Spring Inspiration | The Secret Ingredient is kinda vanilla.
    You should look at Yahoo’s front page and note how they create news titles to grab people interested. You might add a related video or a picture or two to grab people interested about everything’ve written.
    In my opinion, it would bring your blog a little livelier.