Taking Over Sunday Dinners: Stuffed Meatloaf

Welcome back to another story about taking over the big Italian Sunday Dinner from my father, Papa B, as he recovers from shoulder surgery. Last week I started off my reign by making Braised Pork from the New Brooklyn Cookbook.

I was a bit all over the place about what to make this week; I was contemplating a few different options.  Papa B was feeling a bit better this week and was throwing out hints. Every hint had the word pasta in it. My father is a lot of things, but subtle isn’t one of them. The problem is—and this is a big confession to make—I’m not a big fan of pasta. Please put away your pitchforks and torches and let me explain. It’s not that I don’t enjoy pasta once in a while, but if I had a choice I rather have … something else.  Therefore, we compromised, and I made one of Papa B’s favorite dishes—meatloaf, but with an Italian twist.  Mario Batali’s Stuffed Meatloaf can be found in his cookbook Molto Italiano. I love the addition of prosciutto and spinach into the center; it made the meatloaf more flavorful and moist.

This dish was a lot of fun to make, even with Papa B looking over my shoulder and questioning every move I was making.  It was a bit difficult to roll up all of that goodness into a “loaf” form, but after a few attempts it came out fantastic.  My one bit of advice with this dish is to check up on it often while it’s cooking.  If you cook it too long it could become very dry.

Next time I promise a pasta dish!

Comments
14 Responses to “Taking Over Sunday Dinners: Stuffed Meatloaf”
  1. Retroguy says:

And here i thought my mom had the stuffed meatloaf market cornered with applesauce! It’s actualy really good, but proscioutto rules! Good work, Frank B.

• David says:

Hi, I googled benngier camera classes Billings, MT and your previous class showed up. So I am emailing to inquire about if you might have another class coming up or if you are up for some private hire/tutoring!??!I’m desperate! I think I love photography, but as soon as I try and take a photo I get incredibly discouraged and walk away pouting. I don’t want to be the girl that forever uses her fancy DSLR camera in auto mode. I’d love any help!Thanks so much. Happy Holidays!-Sarah Barkie

• sildenafil says:

Play informative for me, Mr. internet writer.

• Sergen says:

I must show some appreciation to this wtierr for bailing me out of this problem. As a result of checking through the internet and getting strategies which were not productive, I was thinking my entire life was done. Existing without the presence of solutions to the issues you have resolved as a result of your blog post is a serious case, and ones that would have negatively damaged my career if I hadn’t encountered your site. The mastery and kindness in maneuvering every item was helpful. I don’t know what I would have done if I hadn’t discovered such a stuff like this. I’m able to at this time look ahead to my future. Thank you very much for this reliable and results-oriented guide. I will not think twice to propose your site to any person who needs guidance on this situation.

• Tuesday says:

Other parties involved in the accident. Your QuotesChimp will need the name, address, home and work phone numbers of the other party or parties to the mishap. You should also obtain the name of the other driver’s insurance company and his or her policy number, if you can. In addition, include the make, model, and license number of the other automobile(s) involved in the collision.

2. Salvatore Manno says:

I love what you did with this meatloaf…. What intrigues me the most is that (depending on how dry or moist the meatloaf is) I usually have to add some type of sauce or ketchup to it. But with this stuffing, it looks like I could eat it as is! That is so awesome!

3. Keith says:

That looks like it was awesome ! There only seems to be one thing missing from those pictures……..my fork.

4. Caroline Manno says:

I was wondering what you were making this week! Looks yummy!

5. Mike Kapp says:

I am a huge fan of just plain ol’ meatloaf, but this looks amazing! Thanks for sharing.

6. Linda says:

Is that REALLY a picture of the stuffed meatloaf YOU made??? It looks absolutely perfect and amazing!! I feel very upset that I did not get to taste it. When will you be making it again? And what can I do to get an invite to the food tastings each week?? I happen to agree with you and your blog commentor Rosanna….need a break from the pasta and meatballs….mix it up….make it yummy….have fun with it…….and invite me over to eat some darn it!!! 😉

7. Cynthia says:

WOW, I must say that the final product looks just like the picture from the cookbook. That says alot and nonetheless it was so delicious. Papa B is enjoying the variety of meals every Sunday.

8. Ron Pelopida says:

I was wondering what Mario Batali’s been up to, it’s like he disappeared, it’s good see him somewhat back.

9. Rosanna says:

Between last weeks pork and this weeks meatloaf I don’t know which I want to tackle first! From how you have describe your family it seems as though our families are very similar, meatballs and pasta every Sunday. I think it’s nice to change things up with other delicious options as long as family time is involved! I commend you on your challenge of breaking the Italian Sunday routine . . . And the food looks delicious!

10. Lillie says:

I need to run home immediately and make this. Sorry if I can’t get the costco sales to you tomorrow, I’ll be stuffing my face with meatloaf.