A Taste of Fall with The Pioneer Woman’s Flat Apple Pie

From the first signs of golden-yellow leaves and slowly falling temperatures, I had visions of grandeur for the fall season. I was going to make the most of my favorite months this year and my big plans included, but were not limited to—sipping warm apple cider by the fireplace, getting lost in a corn maze, driving aimlessly along winding roads to view the magnificent foliage, carving funny faces in unsuspecting pumpkins, bumping up and down on a hayride, and of course, picking apples in a sprawling orchard. I am saddened to say that it is the last week of October and I have done none of these things (though I did drink cold apple cider from my fridge while munching on some Entenmann’s apple cider donuts!).

To console myself from this epic fall failure, I cracked open one of my favorite cookbooks last night and turned to a recipe I’ve been meaning to try all year: The Pioneer Woman’s Flat Apple Pie. I already had her Perfect Pie Crust sitting in my freezer (we make her delicious Chicken Pot Pie a lot in my house!), so the rest was easy. In less than an hour, my entire home was filled with the most incredible apple-cinnamon aroma that lasted late into the night. And the combination of buttery, melt-in-your mouth crust and tangy-sweet apples somehow made up for all of my missed fall plans—even that apple picking trip! So try it for yourself with a heaping scoop of vanilla or cinnamon ice cream. This amazing recipe is a fall treat that can be enjoyed any time of year!

Flat Apple Pie

Makes 2 Pies

Freshly—picked Granny smith apples from Aisle 7 in our local A&P.

• 5 peeled and sliced Granny Smith apples
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • Juice of ½ lemon
  • ½ cup granulated sugar
  • ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 recipe Perfect Pie Crust (below; makes 2 crusts)
  • 4 tablespoons (½ stick) butter

1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF. In a large bowl, stir together the apples, flour, lemon juice, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and salt. Set aside.

2. Roll out two pie crusts into large circles. Place the circles on large baking sheets.

3. Place half the apple mixture on one crust and the other half on the other crust.

4. Fold over the edge of each crust so that it covers 2 to 3 inches of the apple mixture. No need to be artistic—the more rustic the better.

5. Dot the tops of the pies with chunks of butter.

6. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the filling is golden and bubbly. If the crust appears to brown too quickly, cover the edges with aluminum foil for the remaining baking time.

Note: If you have two ovens, it’s best to bake the pies separately. If not, just allow enough room between racks so the heat can circulate properly.

7. Allow to cool slightly, then slice into wedges with a pizza cutter. Eat ’em on the go!

Variation:

For extra sweetness, drizzle on jarred caramel topping after removing the pie from the oven.

Perfect Pie Crust

Makes two to three 9-inch pie crusts

• 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1½ cups vegetable shortening
  • 1 egg
  • 5 tablespoons cold water
  • 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar

1. Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl.

2. Add in the shortening. Using a pastry cutter, gradually work the shortening into the flour until the mixture resembles tiny pebbles.  This step should take 3 or 4 minutes.

3. Lightly beat the egg with a fork, then add it to the mixture. Next, add in the cold water and vinegar. Stir the mixture together until it’s just combined, then remove half of the dough from the bowl.

4. Place in a large plastic bag (do not seal) and slightly flatten with a rolling pin. This makes it much easier to roll out the crust later. After flattening, seal the bag tightly. Repeat with the other half of the dough and place the plastic bags in the freezer until ready to use.

Note: Dividing the dough in half results in two pretty generous pie crusts. If you desire a thinner crust, you may divide the dough into three crusts.

5. When you’re ready to use a crust, remove one from the freezer and allow it to sit on the counter to thaw slightly, about 20 minutes. Remove from the bag and place on a lightly floured surface.

Comments
12 Responses to “A Taste of Fall with The Pioneer Woman’s Flat Apple Pie”
  1. Emilia says:

First saw the Pioneer Woman when watching the Food Network. I love it and got hooked!

• Choirun says:

It depends what you do. If you are on the go alot and just surf web and ybouute as a normal person, go with the ipad! but if you game flash like club penguin (LOL) or other stuff, go with the laptop. iPad doesen’t have adobe flash player. It just depends what you do, how you do it, and what you prefer (:

2. Narda says:

Love your show and recipes!

3. jennifer robertson says:

There was alot of seapige of juices from the pies. Is that right or did I do something wrong.

4. Henni Bartel says:

When making pie crust, I have found it very easy to use a food processor. Place flour, salt and shortening in processor. Pulse until crumbly. Add water and vinegar and again pulse until combines (dough will form a ball.) Dough should be refrigerated for an hour or two for easy rolling

5. Carol Mobbs says:

what is athepurpose for the vinegar in the pie crust recipe?

6. vangie garcia says:

now this recipe is outstanding talk about getting to enjoy apple pie on the go. I couldnt use the crust that was given due to being on a Gluten free diet but taste great with a glutenfree crust!! Nothing but a napkin required!!!!!

7. Robyn says:

The recipe doesnt list how many apples to use (or how many cups of slices) Thank you!

• Jessica says:

Robyn, thanks for letting us know! The recipe has been corrected.

• Honorine says:

Hey everybody!!!! Happy Thanksgiving!!! Thanksgiving is 1 of my fatorive holidays, and each yr I like to get into the mood-extend the holiday, since it were-by reading Thanksgiving novels. Unsurprisingly, most of these stories are mostly about families, about coming together to heal old hurts and giving thanks for the gift of love. . .. Are You Much better Off These days Than You Were 2 Yrs Ago?

8. Sharon Ashworth says:

Since I have been a diabetic for 7 years now, I have had to make a lot of adjustments to different desserts and other recipes that I have found. One of them, of course, is sugar. I try to use the different sugars and even the natural sugars; like agave nectar when I make pies, cinnamon raisin bread, cookies and cakes. Not necessary the use of plain Splenda, I try to draw on sugars like honey, agave nectar, and sun crystals sugar. Even applesauce, carrots, bananas in recipes to substitute for the sugar amounts.

• Jessica says:

Great suggestions, Sharon! I never thought of using agave nectar instead of sugar. Let us know how your modified recipe turns out.